alfalfa
Silver
Silver

Milano Gold Door Panel Removal

Post by alfalfa »

Could someone give me instructions on how to get the square door lock loose from the door panel? This car is very stock and I hate to break the lock trying to get the panel off. I need to replace the window regulator.

Thanks,

Meady (alfalfa)
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

There are two models of door lock knob.The earlier version is held on with a a small philips head screw on the side and the later one is removed with an allen key nut which threads onto the lock rod from above.Both require you to open a fragile hinged cover...careful
Attachments
LOCK1.jpg
LOCK1.jpg (37.98 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
lock2.jpg
lock2.jpg (27.41 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
alfalfa
Silver
Silver

door lock removal

Post by alfalfa »

Thanks so much for the quick and detailed help. I have a 1988. Don't know if that is later or earlier. I had 1987 and it had the screws on the side and they were visible so maybe this one is the later kind on top. Do I pry the plastic off the top?

Meady
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Meady if you're dealing with the later design (top picture) the plastic cover is "hinged" on the lower inside.Mine was broken off hence the picture.Best way to pop it open is to use a small hooked tool of some kind and insert it on the window side of the knob and tug up .I'm sure those Alfa engineers probably had a special 3 piece cast iron tool designed to do this but a hook will work.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
alfalfa
Silver
Silver

door lock removal

Post by alfalfa »

You're my hero! Thanks a lot. Now, for some good weather to work on my car . . .

Meady
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Just did that exact job on my verde today - replaced the window regulator in the front passenger door. The plastic gear in the regulator was stripped as is common. Anyway, doesn't take long.
Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
alfalfa
Silver
Silver

Milano Gold Door Panel Removal

Post by alfalfa »

I have a feeling that is what is wrong with mine. Any pressure on the window makes the motor sound like plastic grinding to me. MOtor is strong but window quits moving. I'll get around to fixing this but now am concentrating on rear brakes - all new rotors, calipers, pads and axle boots. I'm lucky that my son is a mechanic :)

Meady