http://www.italiancar.com.au/images/AR_GTV6_lg.jpg

thanks
j.v. Lentini
1984 ALFA GTV6 2.5
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Jack,As you know,these were made for the .S.A. 30l for production car racing in the 80`s.They were all made from fibreglass(a brilliant piece of workmanship..)but they tended to shrink and twist with time..I have a mould I made many years ago,but this has also twisted-fibreglass shrinks with time..
I would suggest getting another 2.5 bonnet(hood) and modifying that .I have done this on occasion and you realy need to work carefully when it comes to the welding process.Typical high tech custom car welding here as the material is very thin-Lots of Bondo and small runs with cooling off periods in between---The final results are seriously worth it....

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Hugo
Silver
Silver

SA Bonnets

Post by Hugo »

Jack,

I have an SA 3 litre and a number of years ago, Jano Djelalian of Autodelta in London "bagged it" and had a number of replica bonnets and front spoilers made. You could always ask him if he still has any...

Best of luck. Oh and by the way, I concur with what Barry said, the workmanship of the SA bonnet is superb, except for the pathetic "grill" in the naca duct (which is closed off).

Barry, have you any idea's were one can get the original grills, as other wise I will have to use black stainless mesh.

Regards

Hugo
RHD South African 3 Litre and LHD 156 2.4 GTD Sportswagen
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Hugo,Chickens teeth!!We actually had them made from ally plate wich we milled on a cnc mill.The final product looked great once you had black annodized it..Some guys here have had some made ,but the results were less than spectacular-A form of cold plastic or resin casting-not good..

Barry
Hugo
Silver
Silver

Post by Hugo »

Barry,

Your response was pretty much as expected. To be frank, the plastic grill was, as I said before pathetic, and so even if one wanted to be obsesive about originality, I would be inclined to try and do a better job.

Not ever having seen the cars in their home country, perhaps you could however, tell me if the naca duct on the 3 litre racers bonnets was opened up-thereby providing a ram of air direct to the carbs?. And if it was, were there any benefits or downsides to this?

The reason I ask is that on all the pictures I have seen, there is no apperture in the bonnet, which makes it all show and no go. Also I have to mention that I have always fancied making the Naca duct more "visible" by marking it up in black, a la Montreal, or some other idea. What do you think.

Regards

Hugo

PS. Jack, you should also know (if you dont already) that the spoiler on the SA GTV6's was also unique to the car. Allegedly it gave greater cooling. As I said before, Autodelta in London as used to have molds.
RHD South African 3 Litre and LHD 156 2.4 GTD Sportswagen
Jack_Linguini
Silver
Silver

Post by Jack_Linguini »

well that sounds a bit trick to find. Has anyone ever had items
from scuderia biscione or their suppliers shipped to the states?
They have some really nice looking composite panels, but w
my very poor French, it's tough to determine the process of
purchasing from them. Any other thoughts for a decent
fibreglass hood that one could order from stock and have shipped.
I should note that I do not like the Zender hood w the dual
"pontiac" air inlets.

bests
j.v. Lentini
1984 ALFA GTV6 2.5
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Hugo,The originals had 2x 50mm holes in them for some reason-no good for anything....The carb filter housing also had an extension welded to it and this mod alone gave "8kW" more.The housing did produce more power,but the carbs were a b*tch to set up.Once you had everything sorted,put the housing back and the co`s would be fifferent.We eventually learned how to compensate for this .

Jack,by the sounds of it you might be closer to Jano at A.D,-I would then try them for the bonnet...

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

body panels, SA bonnet.

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi, I have access to a SA bonnet if you havnt already found one, they cost £250 GP. If you are interested you can contact me on paul.bird23@ntlworld.com

Thanks
Paul UK