Alfaboy1970
Silver
Silver

how to remove the rubber trim strips from the doors?

Post by Alfaboy1970 »

Hi i want to remove the rubber trim strips on my doors and wings without damaging them or the doors. 1984 mk3 gtv6, many thanks marcus
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

The strips just pry off with a 3" putty knife is what I use. The only problems you may encounter is if there is rust or someone glued them.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
Alfa GTV6 NZ
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfa GTV6 NZ »

If you really want to be fussy you can easily push the clips from the inside of the doors with the doorcards off and windows up.
Using this method you shouldnt break any of the clips.
1987 GTV6 - Livin in New Zealand.
Alfaboy1970
Silver
Silver

Thanks

Post by Alfaboy1970 »

I think from inside the doors will be best, i am stripping the car down for a full restoration and want to minimise damaging things on the way, this is my first attempt at stripping a car down! Off at the deep end but will be fully documented and labelled so I can remember how to put it back together!
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

Alfaboy,

I misread your question and I was referring to the sealing gasket on the car. I just stripped mine for a re-spray.

The front door exterior has 3 screws that are accessed from the inside. You can only nget to them by:

1. Remove the interior panels and trim.
2. Remove the window dividing post by drilling out the 2 rivets on top and removing the 2 bolts at the bottom from under the door.
3. With the window in the down position, release the main glass from the cable attachment.
4. Angle backwards the post and remove the vent glass.
5. Remove the post. You'll have to finagle this one if you do not remove the bottom attachment bracket from the post.
6. Start removing the 3 bottom screws retaining the exterior bottom trim. This has to be removed in order to remove the main glass piece. One screw is accessible. The other 2 you will need to move the glass forward & backward inside the door rocking it up or down accordingly to access each screw. Remove the trim. Oh Yeah, shoot some penetrationg oil on the screw first as they may be a tad rusty.
7. Remove the main glass.

Just did this.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
Alfaboy1970
Silver
Silver

Thanks

Post by Alfaboy1970 »

Like the pure shape of your red gtv looks great like that. Mines gonna have some way to go until I am at that stage
Alfasud Ti 1977
Lancia Beta Coupe 2000hf
Alfa Romeo GTV6 3.0
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

alfaboy 1970,

Stick with it!! It's worth it!! Trust me. I can see from your stable you're an 'odd duck' as I am and any other GTV6 fanatic. They are excellant vehicles and they reward for the time & funds investment (which it is) is definitly worth it. The rewards positively out do the investment as long as you are able to do it correctly..... This car required a lot of attention to get to this point. When 'she' arrived on the car carrier, I was quite dissappointed. However, after rolling up my shirt sleeves and digging in, she is an excellant example of a fabulous work of art and definitly worth preserving and enjoying.

The country boys painting my car love it as well as many customers who have dropped by the shop.

Picking her up tomorrow from the painter tomorrow and dropping off another (BMW M635CSi) tomorrow to retrofit the GTV6 for completion - yeah right - completion - I'll pull out, OK???

3.0 ltr to follow. 'Film at 11'....
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
Alfaboy1970
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the support

Post by Alfaboy1970 »

I will send you some photos of the work as it unfolds, so far there is little rot so I am very pleased, but you never know until its fully stripped down....I am going to have the car resprayed metallic black which is a rare original colour over here, once the bodies done it will be onto the mechanicals.

Marcus
Alfasud Ti 1977
Lancia Beta Coupe 2000hf
Alfa Romeo GTV6 3.0
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

Marcus,

Generally I commence stripping the undercarriage like tires exhaust and anything easily ti remove immediately after purchase. I then clean & pressure wash afterwhich I under coat the undercarriage. During the process, any issues are addressed for protection. Then it's on to the mechanicals so as to not damage the aesthetical parts. But then, I live in a climate that is friendlier than yours. In that case, the mechanicals would be last except for operational use.

Good Luck.
Attachments
Imag0701.jpg
Imag0701.jpg (174.39 KiB) Viewed 6856 times
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi