x-rad
Verde
Verde

hood scoop revisited

Post by x-rad »

any ideas if it would be better to have a hood scoop facing front or towards the windshield

I think that the lower pressure would be towards the windshield so that hot air can be drawn up from engine bay?? which is what I want to do
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

i read an article on this the other day and from what i understand youd want the vent placed as far forward as you can. obviuosly rear facing. cant remeber exactly but a guy did some testing with bits of wool stuck all over the hood and got somebody to take a pic while he was driving. he then was able to see roughly how the air moved around on the bonnet. believe it or not he did this test on an alfa gtv 4. shame i cant remeber where i saw it though if i find it i surely will post it up here.

cheers
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

hmmm i wonder what a double row punched louved chunk of sheetmetal bolted in where the stock plastic on the hood would do for bay temps
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Hey Short...that's a great idea...i've been looking for a scoop doggy, when all I need is louvers!!! :idea: :idea:

kinda like the old jag vents....but in the middle
Attachments
borrowed from(actually a real nice car):<br /><br />http://www.californiaclassix.com/archive/61_XK-E_c17.html
borrowed from(actually a real nice car):

http://www.californiaclassix.com/archive/61_XK-E_c17.html
c17-4.jpg (23.31 KiB) Viewed 12437 times
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

yeah exactly and if done right it could be something that bolted into the stock location where plastic unit is...if ya find it not working turn it around...if it still dont work ya go back to stock and the hood is never actualy modified
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

yeah...can't find these anywhere for cheap
scott.venables
Gold
Gold

Post by scott.venables »

Don't laugh, but you might be able to adapt a wall vent from a hardware store. Definitely cheap and probably aluminium so it won't be too heavy. Might not have louvres the full width of the cover but might be able to get one with 2 or 3 sets of louvres that end up the right width.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The 280ZX turbo has two hood vents that fit the GTV6 hood really well. One is a combination NACA style scoop and vent, and the other is just a vent.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

i was actualy thinking of what about haveing a custom body shop roll punch some sheetmetal to the right size..should be under 100$ ...or you could buy your own roll punch and do it
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

unfortunately, 280zx vents are angled....

I did find a scoop the right size from summit..

Louvers are hard in the size I want. louver press dies seem to only be available up to 5 inches and cost 450$

I guess I can buy some thin plate stainless .030in and cut and spot weld my own.....
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I am not sure what you mean by angled. The 280ZX Turbos scoups have curvature in them that nearly exactly matches the curvature of the GTV6 hood. I have a pair in my garage and I have checked this out pretty carefully.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

i belive i saw a set at eastwood that could do up to any lendgth you wanted

so what scoop ya eyeing at summit?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

MD: vents have an angle if looking down from the top....

Short: that's a big catalogue...got a page## or pic??
Attachments
Summit: will be glassed and modified
Summit: will be glassed and modified
sum-470090.jpg (8.95 KiB) Viewed 12349 times
280 vents
280 vents
35c3_1.jpg (25.57 KiB) Viewed 12351 times
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

HUWARF!!! .......thats just nasty lookin...looks like a lund POS non functional unit thats held on by double sided stick tape

not sure how well the curved lines will work on a gtv6 body with the body being so tight/square edged

just type in louver on eastwood's website and you will see alot of them..die's up to 5 inch and roller versions wich can basicaly make a louver any length you want......NOT cheap...thats why i would sugjest contacting some streetrod/body shops and see if you can find someone who can make the louvers on a piece of sheet......being the hood insert is such a small piece i cant see it costing much in louver time from a shop that has the setup to do it