kevin
Verde
Verde

Xenon hedlight conversion

Post by kevin »

After trying various headlight modifications, including 100w globes with relays(spraying dangerously bright light), recroming the inners etc I have been inspierd by a mate of mine Peter, with his Xenon set up. I have just completed mine and with only 35w globes the visibility is remarkably different. The basis of these lights comes from the BM's.
Attachments
Img_1544.jpg
Img_1544.jpg (83.54 KiB) Viewed 11217 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I guess this thread should have been under electrical , all apologies.
This however does influence the exterior looks of the car.
The nice part about this particular conversion is that the convex lenses are still kept. Here is another Xenon conversion using the entire BM light with the flat lens. This is probably the easiest way to do it.
Attachments
Img_1546.jpg
Img_1546.jpg (112.19 KiB) Viewed 11216 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The above GTV belongs to DR. Les which started life as standard South African GTV3.0l then was then bored out to 3.5 and a multivalve heads fitted by Dawie in 1995. This motor was replaced with a new 3.0 24v motor about two years ago. Enough of history.
Here are a few pics of making the light (the hard way will post pics of the easy way)
Attachments
Img_1510.jpg
Img_1510.jpg (120.35 KiB) Viewed 11211 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

another pic of the old way. Once the light is completed a tube is slid over it to seal it from moisture.
Attachments
Img_1511.jpg
Img_1511.jpg (111.11 KiB) Viewed 11210 times
pancho
Gold
Gold

Post by pancho »

kev - that kicks ass.

I have 4 original new headlights for my RHD unit - still in their OEM boxes. I may keep them stored and play with this conversion type instead. What car model/type were these headlights out of ? And do you have the pics of doing it the easy way yet ?
PanchoRama

From the great master Del Compo "so, wat you wan doin?"

High Five. Sexy Time. You Lose
Alfa GTV6 NZ
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfa GTV6 NZ »

Very nice,

Was wanting to do a similar thing to my gtv6.

Would definately like to know more about the easy way.

Karl
1987 GTV6 - Livin in New Zealand.
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

I have seen some after market HID kits which allow you to use a H1 globe and hence keep the existing headlamps without mods. I think they retail for about AUD$650. Not sure about intensity but I presume they'll be much better than OEM.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The h1 zenon kit is readily avaliable to put straight in with the existing lights(plus relay and fuse) which will definately be an improvement if your existing lights still have good lenses. What I liked about the BMW conversion was the 'projector lense" which gives you a far more 'intense' light.
I will put up pics on the weekend of the easy way of doing it and which BMW light was used.
Barry should be able to recognise the light on Les's GTV 3.0. Thats the easiest option however you dont have the convex lense.
All you do is epoxy the GTV headlight clips onto the BM light in the correct position and cut a small piece out the grill and the light slides in . Sounds easy but its still take a bit of time.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Good one Kev,My giulietta xenon is coming on well as you know..
The BMW units I used In the late 80`s were from the e30 325i.Looks the same as your pic above.I ground all the BMW mounnting lugs off the housing and then cut the Alfa lamps outer ring with its mounting lugs to fit the outside of the BM unit..
Simply epoxied it on IN THE CORRECT POSITION!! As you say,trim the grill slightly to fit..
Worked extremely well..
pancho
Gold
Gold

Post by pancho »

you guys are the modding gurus.

kev when you coming next ? we need to have another hit of tennis
Baz, when are you coming ! keep me updated with the pistons etc.
PanchoRama

From the great master Del Compo "so, wat you wan doin?"

High Five. Sexy Time. You Lose
fly_lice
Silver
Silver

Post by fly_lice »

Kevin,

Do you have any photos of how the BM light was mounted on the silver vehicle?

I have wanted to do this conversion for a long time now but was unsure how to mount.

Thankyou,
Aaron
|-Transaxle Pride-|
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Sorry guys, have not had a minute to take those pics but they will be up soon. Still going to download some pics of the All tar rally this weekend under 'other.' Was the name pancho from the 'Pancho Gonzales' ?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The easy way, finally. Take this BMW light and cut its mounting clips off. take an old GTV lamp and remove the mounting clips. Some clips can be removed with a par of pliers if the spot weld is not to strong or drill out the tiny spot welds. The mark the correct position on the BM lamp and epoxy the Alfa clips on. You dont even need to go Xenon route as these lights are pretty dam good.
Heres some pics of the Bm lamp before the clips were cut off.
Attachments
Img_1638.jpg
Img_1638.jpg (92.51 KiB) Viewed 10683 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Finally in car with Alfa clips epoxied on.
Attachments
Img_1637.jpg
Img_1637.jpg (91.12 KiB) Viewed 10682 times
Alfa GTV6 NZ
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfa GTV6 NZ »

What Series BMW are the best?

Karl
1987 GTV6 - Livin in New Zealand.