zambon
Verde
Verde

Rear tires off center, causes rubbing on one side only

Post by zambon »

My rear tires are not centered, the driver´s side tire is closer to the fender than the passenger side. To make matters worse, I have 225-50-15 tires in the back (larger diameter than stock and also greater width). The driver´s side one rubs something fierce. The contact point is at the lower front part of the wheel well. I happens on starts generally, and I take it very easy on my starts with this car. On the start, the torque brings the wheel forward, causeing tire to touch the well.
I plan to have my rear fenders rolled to make some extra space, but that is a band aid, I think. I would like to understand why the driver´s side tire is tight, while the passenger´s side one is roomy. The rear of the car is lowered on what I was told are Ricambi sport springs (they are red).
What does this offcenter dedion mean? Do I need to chase this problem?
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

could be worn bushes....... (watts link and maybe center deDion) OR your axle is bent :? Had it on the race car this season when a fellow racer hit me on the rear wheel. The whole axle was distorted and caused excessive toe-in on one rear wheel.
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
jol
Silver
Silver

Post by jol »

when did you notice this? after something major? like hitting the sidewalk sideways :)

I recorded two films on my previous 75 2.0 carb before and after changing from original to superflex polyurethane bushings in the wattlink;
before
http://racemovie.mine.nu/moviedetailed. ... 85d431958b
after
http://racemovie.mine.nu/moviedetailed. ... 9f4ee73f43
The links are dark text. You can see at some points how much the rear moves and not.
Damn i want spring again :)
The milano very sold, some day some other Alfa...
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Of course you must check what it is. It shouldn't rub with that size.

- dedion front bush
- watt's bushes
- bent dedion
- bent watt's
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

hey, hey, my father can definately vouch for that 'hit a sidewalk sideways line.'
when he was on track at summit point for a fatt day he lost it coming through the carousel and the left rear wheel hit the fia curbing sideways. thanks to the low profile tires, the rim hit the curb before the tire and the dedion tube bent.
although i doubt this was your problem too, i like the suggestions above
vittorio
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Thank you for the replies

All bushings are suspect and i plan to go through them. Although the bushings could be making things worse, the difference is definitely noticeable even when the car is parked on level ground. Therefore I think there must be something bent.
This problem was inherited when I purchased this car, so I dont know if the rear has had a violent event to cause this. I could swap the dedion off of another car. I have another Milano that is currently on blocks. If I find out that the dedion is bent, that is what I will do.
I guess I need to get the rear alignment checked before I do anything.
I dont think the axle is bent, it seems like the whole thing is mounted a few cm to the right of center. I will report back when I have alignment information.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

If the axle is cleraly on one side it must be the watt's being bent or it's chassis attachments dislocated.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I can check the Watts linkage simply by measuring the length of each arm, correct?
They should be equal length on a 75, right? If one is bent, will it work to bend the other until they are equal length? My car has rear lowering springs, so the arms are too long anyway.
jol
Silver
Silver

Post by jol »

zambon wrote:I can check the Watts linkage simply by measuring the length of each arm, correct?
They should be equal length on a 75, right? If one is bent, will it work to bend the other until they are equal length? My car has rear lowering springs, so the arms are too long anyway.
yes yes yes and check where the link is fastened to the body. I'd recomment cut-and-weld instead of bending, it would be like asking for it to bend even more at that point.
The milano very sold, some day some other Alfa...
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

i think that alfaheaven.com might still have adjustable watts links made of aluminum.
v
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I think you are correct about the adjustable linkage, but I dont know if I want to deal with Zat...
I just measured my linkage and it seems to be fine. I think I did notice the real problem, however.
The side of the bumper doesnt properly connect to the chassis near the passenger side watts linkage connection. I guess that it has been pushed in at some point. I think this means that the whole dedion axle is aligned too far to the driver´s side. I wonder how much this will cost me to have it fixed? Good to be in Mexico, I guess.
Mexico is a double edged sword when it comes to repairs though. Prices are good, but there isnt always as much professional pride as I would like. What process does the body shop need to follow to ensure that the mount is in the correct position after they do their work?
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Will my result be just as good if I just bite down and get an adjustable length watts linkage and have it set up with the arms at slightly uneven lenghths so that the dedion is centered?
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Yep. You won't notice the difference.
Main thing is that the axle is in the middle and the wheelbase left and right are equal.

After an accident which was fixed by a company, I noticed on the track that turning left and right was really much different. One felt much better. After checking I noticed a difference in wheelbase of 2-3 cm L and R.