zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

What spring length should I start with? What load rating? I also might need the springs to be a few inches shorter than normal to accomodate helper springs.
The car should be much lighter than stock due to Evo bumpers and lack of AC system and PS pump. The car will be an aggressive street machine retaining stock torsion bars.
The springs will be used with bilstiens and adaptor tubes. I also will make a tubular upper control arm to clear the 2.5in ID springs, so I shouldn't have to worry about upper arm clearance.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Ok, I am thinking of going with some 8 inch 225lb springs (roughly 100kg, I think).
Anybody think that these will work? Or wont work?
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

I'm working with 4" length springs in the front and backside.

Ps in front I use 600 Lbs/in which is is 105 Kg/cm in my book :lol:
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

:oops:
I thought I was doing the incorrect conversion.

4in springs, eh? I dont really understand how that would work. I thought that I would set the torsions at the lowest setting and then use the coilovers to raise the car back up to the desired height. I thought I would need an 8 in spring so that I would have some compression to use.

Maurizo-
Could you describe your setup a little bit more? It might save me some effort and time. Thanks for the help.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

hmm,
just looked at the photo on the previous page of this thread. Looks like a 4in spring and a helper spring (4in also?) to take up slack when the suspension is at a droop.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Looks like a 4in spring and a helper spring (4in also?) to take up slack when the suspension is at a droop
Yep, your setup view on the torsion is ok.

zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Maurizio, thank you very much for the advice. I will order the springs and 4in helpers.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I got my adaptor sleeves today (from pitstopusa.com). I am at a loss as to how I will attach the sleeve to the shock body.
Now that I have the sleeves in hand, I see that they are made of aluminum. welding does not seem to be an option. I could have a steel sleeve welded onto the shock body, I guess. The alu threaded sleeve would then seat against that.

Does this idea sound like it might work?

Anybody have a better idea?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

My idea is to buy Ron Simmons' kit. It has all issues worked out and it has certainly proven itself.

While I appreciate the do it yourself mentality, I think you will save time and money and end up with better performance buying Ron's kit.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Greg,

What you said is true. But if you want to keep things under a tight budget, the RSR kit won't meet the budget. I think the whole kit is worth around US$2K at the very least. Obviously, there's a reason why it cost so much, because it's very good and it works.

Alternatively you can just go with a torsion bar based setup. I will be installing my Beninca setup soon. However since this topic is about coilovers, I guess we will have to discount that.

Zambon,

I have a pair of AVO shocks with the threaded bodies. I've had the top portion converted a rod style mount (like stock Alfas). If you want my shocks and springs, PM me. But I would advise that you have it redone properly (just the top part). It uses 1.75" springs so clearence is not really an issue. I even have the lower adaptors to fit the A-arm.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

is glue-ing (epoxy) the sleeve not an option? Have seen it before, sleeves glued over bilstein shocks.

@Zam: Isn't possible to get the avo's with thread from the manufacturer, welding to a shock is not without risk.

Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Maurizio,

I think glueing is ok, provided you get the correct epoxy. I think that's what that guy... JB (the 3.0 V6 TT guy from Holland did) on the Bilsteins.

I didn't weld the shock body, just the top of the shaft, and the welding is done in such a short time it doesn't warm up the shaft by much at all. Just extend the shaft and pack ice around it. Welding around the shock body is definitely something I would not even try.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Weld on a flange on the threaded pipe so it will seat on the top on the shock, that way the car won't drop to the ground if the glue fails (at 200Km/h :o ).
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Mats wrote:Weld on a flange on the threaded pipe so it will seat on the top on the shock, that way the car won't drop to the ground if the glue fails (at 200Km/h :o ).

Also true, glue is something which can fail if done not thoroughly. I have a set of sleeves laying around and took a look a them a few minutes ago. They have a small step in diameter on the top position, so the can't go through. I don't know their origin, just bought them as a low budget coil-over experiment for my daily driver (when I ever get time :lol: ). Welding equipment for aluminum is something not everybody has.

I would mill a circlip groove in the sleeve and make a collar to prevent the shock from going through. And epoxy the ( very good experience with stycast ) assembly.

@z: I think JB was using special koni's.

patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

zamani is that you thats ordered the beninca setup. i was there the other day and i heard talk about someone from overseas inquiring about their setup. wise choice my friend :) as i have the same setup. i am also in the midst of trying to setup something along the lines of the group a rear adjustable spring platform setup. and also lowereing the rear mount for the shocker on the de-dion.(already done this weekend).

sorry if a little off topic guys.

by the way zamani wat exactly did you end up going for with the setup? schookers,uprights, springs, torsion bars? just curious.

patzo_3l