Hippo58
Silver
Silver

"Modern" Power Steering Pump.

Post by Hippo58 »

I was wondering if anybody tried to replace the big and leaking power steering pump with a modern more reliable and compact one. Say from an 164. Apart from the mounting modifications needed... would it work with our steering racks? Any mods on the circuit? :roll:
Petros. Transaxleista!
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Sorry, but a 164 P/S pump is even larger than those on the Milano/75.... Can work though to source a smaller one.

We used a small Diahatsu unit on a race motor recently....

Dawie and I now also use an electric (larger but MUCH lighter) unit on the 156 GTA race car and it is sweet!!! - Can be mounted anywhere (even inside the cabin), weighs almost nothing and can be run by the flick of a switch off of the battery, without the engine running...
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Hippo58
Silver
Silver

Post by Hippo58 »

oops sorry! I meant 146! They seem quite compact.

The electric pump sounds great!

But if you want to stick with the traditional setup, what's the story? So a daihatsu unit will work... good!

What i don't know is what kind of pressure the pumps produce (gtv6, 75)and if the new ones (146, 156?) have remained in about the same pressure level.

Anybody else experiensing with this stuff??
Petros. Transaxleista!
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

I remember reading 2000psi for the 75, but I have no idea how accurate that information was/is.
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
Que Boludo
Gold
Gold

Post by Que Boludo »

Hmmmm..

2000Psi!!!!

run away eveyone!! She's gona BLOW!!
I maka de list, you Justa geta the parts - OK! Wise words from the great master Toni Baloney – Ginger Fingers.
milanoguy
Silver
Silver

Post by milanoguy »

Jungle Justice

Please give us the details of the electric power steering pump? Like who makes it, and how much ?

Bye for now

Milanoguy
Houston TX USA
1987 Milano
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

You can try using the MKII MR2 PS pump, it's electric as well.
argtv6
Silver
Silver

P/S pump pressures

Post by argtv6 »

AR75's and AR90's like all cars with small diameter rack pistons run at 120bar which is much higher than AR146,AR164 and the electrical applications mentioned at +-70bar.
You will end up with a heavy P/S unless you modify the inbuilt pump relief valve.
coach123
Silver
Silver

Post by coach123 »

i've actually replaced the frothing PS pump on my 75 TS with a 146 1.7 boxer one. the result was a super light PS steering which makes it impossible to drive at higher speed, not to mention the almost zero road feel. tried lowering the oil pressure from the pump to the rack by drilling small holes on the pipe connector joint to the pump, but result was a sometimes working sometimes not PS. in the end i gave up and went back to putting the frothing PS pump (froths the oil even after i've replaced all the internal o-rings in the pump)...to prevent messy spillage from the PS oil reservoir, i made a simple spillover bottle with breather, connect the breather hole on the reservoir cover with the spillover bottle with rubber hose, have been happy since. of course, oil still froths, and in the morning i need to drive it a bit before the trapped air in the rack gets out and i get the good steering assistance. i think it's still worth it to do the mod, but you'll have to find a better way to lower the oil pressure from the 146 1.7 boxer PS pump without the problems i encountered.