Side View Mirror - Advice/Help?

Alfa Romeo GTV6 Forum: Body: Side View Mirror - Advice/Help?
By Anonymous on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 09:49 pm:

We all know finding a new side-view mirror for a GTV6 is virtually impossible.

They are all gone now, actually they havn't been in stock for at least 5 or 6 years. I saw a NOS one about a year ago on eBay Germany but missed bidding on it by about a month (did a retro-search on a certain seller).

Anyway...

I had the luck of finding a New Old Stock mirror for a 1st series Alfa 6.

(Big luxury sedan made from '79 to '86 with a variety of engines, just over 12,000 of those ever made, for those who didn't know).

Looking at the pictures of the mirror before I bought it, I noticed that the mirror itself is EXACTLY the same as the mirror on a GTV6.

I got the mirror this week. It IS the same, it even has the same casting #'s on the plastic. The only difference is the base to attach to the door.

I also know 80s US Spiders had the same "VITALONI" electric side view mirror with a different base.

NOW MY QUESTION:

Has anyone of you ever tried to or succeeded in taking such a mirror apart and fitting it to the old base, thus making an almost brand new mirror for your GTV6?

I must say I hate the thought of doing this to a very, VERY RARE NOS auto part, I just want to know if it's possible.

Thanks,
Uri

By Anonymous on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 10:53 am:

I have taken side mirrors apart to switch from right to left side bases. There is a bolt that goes thru the plastic mirror to attach it to the pot metal base. Pop the back cover off the mirror and it should be obvious.

Jason R

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"