Composite parts (hoods, fenders, doors)

Alfa Romeo GTV6 Forum: Body: Composite parts (hoods, fenders, doors)
By Sandro on Unrecorded Date:

I started to deal with a company in italy
they are specialized in fabricating extra
light exterior parts like hood, bumbers etc.
just liked to know if someone is interessted
in such parts ?

By gtv11636 on Unrecorded Date:

yes i am!
let me know more details Sandro!
from what kind of materials they made?
Tomer.

By Zamani on Unrecorded Date:

How much for carbon fibre hood (75)? I want some vents on it. How much? I want vents on mine....

Thanks.

Zamani

By Julian on Unrecorded Date:

Yeah Im interested in a lightweight rear hood, that will still hinge!

Ooops... I meant bonnet (engine hood).

By medici on Unrecorded Date:

I'd like info on plexi windows, composite bonnet and decklid.... and bumpers....

has anyone seen the alfa 166 on ebay? I talked to the guy at autodelta and he said they will be importing alfa's with real alfa engines, not opel,saab,cadillac,gm engines....

2002 gtv, 3.2 46k.......lot of money...

I was thinking of painting the hood/bonnet of my car but the paint job itself is not cheap. I thought what the heck, a carbon fiber hood will probably cost as much (about $500). But how do these carbon hoods stand-up to the UV rays? I want it to last long. Not like 2-3 years, more like 10 years.

By Milanoguy on Unrecorded Date:

Hi Zamani

With Carbon Fiber stuff the devil is in the details. Carbon fiber body panels even the ones used on race cars are actually a plywood like affair with kelvar on the top and bottom and carbon fiber in the middle. Without the kelvar covering it the pure carbon fiber would degrade in a few weeks of UV exsposure. Also carbon fiber while very strong has poor abrasion resitance, kelvar has excelent abrasion resitance(That's why it's used in bulletproof vests). The last layer of these panels is called the gel coat it's clear but color can be added to it as can a UV blocker it the part is not going to be painted. Will this blocker last 10 years? I doubt it.

OK then scratch that idea. Seems like this carbon stuff is only good for race teams.

By Brian H. on Unrecorded Date:

And Rice-Style?
BTW, Sandro, what was the material you were planning? regular fiberglass, or...?

By Joe Cabibbo on Unrecorded Date:

I would think carbon fiber would last well if
painted with a high quality polyeurethane paint
and a clear coat.

By Brian H. on Unrecorded Date:

But Joe, all the rice-rocketeers know that carbon-fiber only helps you go fast if people can see it!
;-))

By euroxpress on Unrecorded Date:

LMAO@Brian, hahaha! Yep, true that.

By micke on Unrecorded Date:

Right Brian,

My fiberglass GTV hood weighs 3 kg. Can't gain much on that using whatsoever $$$ matherial.

Go for kevlar/carbon if you like but the gain is mainly when boasting in a bar or so...

BTW, it has been on my car since -95 and still hasn't "deteriorated".

By Mats on Unrecorded Date:

micke: polyester or epoxy?

If you make it in carbon fibre and mould it in an autoclave I bet you could get it down to 1.5 Kg. But the price would be out of scale, not very good on a race-car... ;-)

/Mats
www.alfa75turbo.com

Yeah if it comes down to it, guys, Ive let you all, and myself, and mostly, my GTV, down, because the Carbon Bonnet looks hot (and I cant afford to paint it straight away), so its gonna be on there as a rice accessory until I have the cash to do otherwhise!

FAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRK

Oh Euro BTW!

Have you been writing to Zoom?!

Someone asked whether a single or t turbo job would be better for an Alfa 2.5- I thought of you straight away!

GO TWIN!!!!

By Anonymous on Unrecorded Date:

2 escargots are better than one! Or as they say it in french FAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRK !

By Mats on Unrecorded Date:

Got Rice? ;-)

I think that there is a big difference between making something look like carbon fibre and having the actual carbon fibre part.

Go Julian!

/Mats
www.alfa75turbo.com

By micke on Unrecorded Date:

I used polyester. Not worth using epoxy for a hood.

Actually to make it light isn't an issue of material as much as design. A fiber glass sandwich construction is much lighter than a solid carbon piece.

I could be superdupercool and buy carbon fiber film from folia tec and glue in on the hood ;-)

The rear wing I built needed carbon fiber and epoxy as it actually needs to carry some load.

BTW! an interesting point about building this stuff is, the lighter you make it the cheaper. Fiber glass is about $5/kg!

Micke
GTV 2.0 - 918 kg

By Zamani on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 10:42 pm:

I had to disfigure my fender a bit to fit them big race tires...gosh darn it why didn't Alfa make those wheel wells bigger?!! I think when I send my car for a repaitn, I will try to buy make bigger fender bulges. 225/50/16 will not sit well in the wheel wells. But race tire sizes are very limited.

I wonder if Mats has a solution to this.

By Mats on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 03:28 am:

How do you mean? what kind of solution? front fibreglass fenders that fit larger wheels? Sounds nice...
Maybe rear ones as well. :) I can see that.

Too bad I don't have the money to develop anything right now. :(

/Mats

By Anonymous on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 03:10 am:

Take a lok at this people... and the price is not too high
http://www.mcracingsa.com/alfaromeo.htm

By Sandro on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 02:54 am:

Sorry guys for the late reply, the materials that
can be used are:

- Polyester
- Carbon
- Kevlar
- Carbon/Kevlar

Depending on wich part you like to have sometimes
it's easier to make them in Polyester also lighter
and if you wanna have them made in carbon it
would be no problem at all

It's possible to make almost any part out of these
materials if we get a model for example also
airboxes, internal parts like dashboards etc.

As example a hood for an Lancia Delta Integrale
Polyester EUR 330.00
Carbon EUR 595.00

I will also look if it's possible to get an EVO
Kit together. Check www.speedshop.ch/lancia.htm
for examples of the carbon fibre parts

By Vittorio on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 07:18 am:

Sandro,
I believe I can speak for the entire site when i say one big resounding, "HELL YEAH!" Besides all the excitement over all of this composite goodness, Keep me in the loop and email me when you have dead specifics.
Thank you,
you are 'the one'

Vittorio

By Chip Mutza on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 12:16 pm:

Count me in if someone decides to make a fiberglass or other lightweight 75/Milano bonnet.

By Zamani on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 02:19 pm:

I'd be interested in a poly hood. But I need a proper rollcage first.

By Julian on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 06:15 pm:

Im in for lightweight GTV Hatch.

For sure! No rust to worry about haha

By joey on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 12:41 am:

beninca has fibre glass hood and hatch avaliable.

hood - $600 plus $120 for the black plastic thingy...

hatch - $500 and can have the glass installed with orginal rubber !

cheers

joe

By Julian on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 01:55 am:

Thanks mate!

Well if sandro can come up with something cheaper, then I will go with that, if not, then I will start drawing up a new budget of "Round 3"!!! Hahaha

By Sandro on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 02:31 am:

Hahaha then let's start round 3, if we can get
together a batch of hoods and hatches the price
will definetly come down, also because the
example i made is a Delta Integrale Hood wich
is very complex to made with all air inlets etc
so the price for making an 75 (Milano) or GTV
hood/hatch should be more cost effectiv.

Ok guys i will keep you informed about this

By Mats on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 02:58 am:

Sandro: Where are you located?
I'm actually thinking of doing some stuff myself, hoods, tailgates, fenders, bumpers... kinda custom too, either to work with the original hinges or pure racing, glass-fibre or carbon.
I have found an unmounted 75 Evo front bumper with will be used to make a mould in a couple of weeks. :)
My guess is that hoods and such will be more costly to transport then the actual price of the part. I'm in Sweden by the way.

Been thinking about making a real set of extractors for the V6 since it seems to be really hard to find a good set. Could also be made custom to fit whatever cams you guys are using and for the 2.5 and the 3.0 engine, GTV and 75.
Naturally they will be calculated and tested before sending anything, dyno results posted and so on.
Any thoughts?

/Mats
www.alfa75turbo.com

By joey on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 06:52 am:

i would definately go with that mats, but unfortunately any gain or economic reason for a group buy would be negated by shippng for the most of us..

but you're right about the extractors, plus i never liked pins, not that alfa really need em being hinged from the front. I really dont like the look on a street car, if its a full race gtv6 then i c the point.. but original mount is my pref. for sure !

cheers

joe

ps: SWEDEN ! mate u are killing me, met a swedish exchange student in my tute this semester... all class... ugh ! dyiiing mate dyyying !!! :)

By paul uk on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 08:36 am:

Hi All,
I make GTV body panels in fibre glass, bonnets,wings (front & rear), tail gates, door panels, front & rear panels. If anyone is interested contact me at
lifestylefitness@ntlworld.com or
www.life-style-fitness.co.uk

Cheers Paul UK

By paul uk on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 08:41 am:

P.S I do the south african bonnet too,plus the 2.0L bonnet, soon the zender kit.

By I dont reckon you do on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 09:06 am:

funny that, I thought it's Bob Wright that makes the fibreglass panels in the UK..........

By Mats on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 10:04 am:

joey: Where are you then? Don't get the last part but I'm guessing a nice little Swedish girl? ;)

Paul uk: Any pics of finished parts?

I dont reckon you do: So it's impossible for two guys in the same country to do the same parts? Must be a British thing...

/Mats
www.alfa75turbo.com

By Zamani on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 12:41 pm:

Mats,

How much for the EVO bumper?

Thanks,

By Anonymous on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 03:51 pm:

Who's Bob Wright?
I like the 3 liter bonnet & the Zender front & rear spoilers!

By joey on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 06:30 pm:

Mats, right on the money pal ! God bless that beautiful country Sweden ! there must be like 1000s of them over there !!!

aaaah ANYWAY ! yeah i'm in australia (melbourne) along with Ben (who i think wont be interested no more) but also with Jules (sydney)... so yeah... i really wouldnt like to see the freight charges from the top of europe to down under...

cheers

joe

ps: funny how personal accusations are almost always made by "anonymous"... heh.

By Anonymous on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 12:26 am:

Yeah - that Anonymous is a real bastard!

By Martin K. on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 04:23 am:

i still have a black GTV6 fibreglass bonnet/hood and fibreglass tailgate with perspex window for sale. The hood has 4 pin latches and the tail gate 2 latches on the bottom corners. Both could be set up for hinging with a little bit of work, both in good condition and well made, AU$300 each.
also have a set of black lightened GT doors (no fibreglass)with perspex windows, AU$200 the pair. located in Sydney,Oz.. btw, also a set of 205/60/15 yokohama 032R sticky tyres, brand new, never raced AU$700 (30% off) and street legal..
any takers?
martin in sydney

By Mats on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:38 am:

Zamani: I have no idea. I'll get back to you with prices when I've done a couple, impossible to estimate I think.

/Mats

PS. Getting warmer up here now and the girls are wearing less and less... ;) DS.

By joey on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 07:04 am:

^^^ NO PICS = LIES ^^^

LOL !

meep, i will get no sleep tonite... 1 metric tonne of work, plus the champions league final airs @ 4am !! the humanity ... plus i gotta think about them swedish chicks mate ! (why u gotta work me up like that mats??) ;)

cheers

joe

By Zamani on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 11:53 am:

Mats: Poly or Fiberglass?

By Nizam on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:01 pm:

Mats: your PS is useless without PICS.

However, I'm also interested in the kit.

By Julian on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:58 pm:

Congrats AC MILAN!!!

Finally back in the limelight- been a long time between Drinks.

Martin- shoot me through an email mate

By Mats on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 03:55 am:

Joey: I actually was on town yesterday with a digital camera... No chick-pix though :/
On the other hand I'm the official photograper on a wedding this Saturday, should be interesting.

Zamani: Is this a test sir? :)
Polyester is used to bind the fibreglass togehter. A better question would be epoxy/carbon or poly/fibreglass... :) The answer is simple, whichever you want. I've done work with both, even Kevlar is possible but that's a beatch to work with = a bit more expensive.

Nizam: My PS? prices? You will se pics when I have something to shoot... :)
I can't get my hands on the EVO front until late next month.

/Mats
www.alfa75turbo.com

By Zamani on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 08:14 am:

Mats,

Hehe I guess you are right. I've done some fiberglass work. But never noticed it was poyester which binds them together. All the can says is resin.

By Sandro on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 02:11 am:

Hi Mats im in switzerland, but my supplier is
located in italy, i actually need a EVO kit and
the GTV parts to produce the moulds so i could
give it a go.

Didn't you planned to come down to switzerland
someday ? :-))

By Mats on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 06:49 am:

Hell yeah... ;)

Must pass Switzerland to get to Italy you know, might go through Austria tough. :/
I'll try to go to Italy in August but it all depends if I manage to find a job. :(

/Mats
www.alfa75turbo.com

By Sandro on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 06:57 am:

Well let me know if you can manage to come down :)

By Zamani on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 08:53 am:

Hey Mats,

How about a rollcage? I need just the rear section :-).

By Nizam on Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 06:22 pm:

Mats - with the upcoming year's Alfa Cup races, Zamani, Chip and myself will be fielding our three 75's. They're stock looking and some are rather tatty (mine comes to mind). Your EVO kit could potentially fix this!

Aesthetically, I'd love to at least LOOK fast and mean when I cross the finish line and I'd have to imagine that Zamani and Chip would love the same. Between the three of us, we could probably get three sets (Chip needs a spare) :-P

By Mats on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 06:53 am:

Sandro: Will do. :)

Zamani: You must be able to find a rollcage where you live. I don't think it would be a cheap thing to send through the mail... :o
Here in Sweden there are a lot of small firms specialized i custom cages, not very expansive.

Nizam: Sounds interesting I must say! But three cars and a spare is more like four?
O well, I'll get started as soon as possible on the mould, the problem is that my buddy who has the front lost his license due to some very "spirited" driving and I can't afford to go and get it. I'm sure he'll get his license back soon anyway. :)
However I will probably only make the fronts to mount up to the Euro mounting points so you guys must do some customizing to get it to fit.

/Mats
www.alfa75turbo.com

By Zamani on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 11:18 pm:

For a simple rear only cage, nicely done, about US$1.2K. Full cage, 6 points, is about US$1.7K. I could go with autopwer, but I don't like the way they fit. I guess that's why they are relatively inexpensive.

By Zamani on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 05:47 pm:

OK, so what's the word on the CF hood? I would like one, with some small vents. Let me know how much I have to pay.

Thanks,

Zamani

By Mats on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 06:09 am:

Who are you asking Zamani? Me?

/Mats

By Zamani on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 09:22 am:

yeap. Ron Simmons said he has the hood, fenders and boot lit for euro 1700. All in CF.

I actually just want the hood. How much do you think?

By Anonymous on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 11:29 am:

do you have a link to some pictures of rons cf? And whatever happened to people sending info on carbon fiber body pieces? Does anybody know of somebody who has these infamous carbon fiber pieces on the east coast of the us?
thanks
vittorio

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"